Home  >>  Info  >>  CELTA, TEFL or TESOL?


Do I need an accredited TEFL course?



What is TEFL?

TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
In order to gain access to the TEFL industry, there are many types of  TEFL certificates, such as weekend courses, online courses and face to face courses. However, there are only two accredited key qualifications – the Trinity CertTESOL (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and the Cambridge CELTA (Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults).

What is the difference between CELTA or TEFL or TESOL?

The  Trinity CertTESOL and CELTA courses are the only accredited TEFL courses that are recognised by both the British Council and employers worldwide. The qualifications and recognition are exactly the same, the only difference is is that the CELTA is accredited by Cambridge University and the Trinity CertTESOL by Trinity College London.
Other TEFL courses will not have the same credibility, therefore they may not be effective in helping you to start your career as an EFL teacher.

Trinity College London?

At our centre we offer the Trinity CertTESOL course. It takes four weeks to complete it. Learn more about our course.

Why shouldn’t I just do a weekend course?

First of all, most employers don’t uncertified TEFL courses. There is one simple reason that makes taking a certified course matter: QUALITY TRAINING & PRACTICE!
We provide daily Observed Teaching Practice hours with real students, face-to-face or online, allowing you to put everything you have learned into practice and the feedback session you will receive after every lesson from both your peers and your tutor means that every day you can work on improving your skills and specific target areas.
Ultimately, taking a weekend TEFL course is unfair to you and your future students. Future employers look favourably on a high amount of practical experience as giving all these practice lessons helps enormously when you’re standing in front of your first real class!

Is your course accredited?

Yes, it is. We offer the Trinity Cert TESOL course which is validated by Trinity College London and recognised by the British Council and employers worldwide. Credits are also awarded towards degree programmes offered by universities in the UK.

Why should I choose your course?

There are at least 9 good reasons why you should choose our Trinity TEFL course in Malaga, take a look!

Full-time or part-time course?

Our 4-week full-time course is intensive; there is a lot to learn in a short period of time so that you leave our school best equipped to be confident in the classroom.
The 8-week part-time course is still intense but less demanding. We suggest this solution to those who have some other commitments or need some more time to study.
You can expect to follow a basic daily routine: Teaching practice, feedback time, input sessions and guided lesson planning.
Please note that you’ll also need the evenings and weekends to work on your assignments and lesson plans. Have a look at our full-time course timetable and graduate testimonials to get a first-hand account of what to expect from the course.

Can I study a TEFL course if I’m not a native English speaker?

In our experience, non-native speakers can become excellent TEFL teachers as long as they hold a high level of English. In fact, there is an argument for suggesting that non-native speakers are often better TEFL teachers than native speakers because they are able to use their experience of learning English as a second language to empathise with their students.

Do I need to be able to speak Spanish?

No, Spanish is not a course requirement. In fact, our TEFL course requires that you speak only English while giving your practice lessons to ensure a feeling of immersion for the students and to increase their overall exposure to English. If you do speak Spanish, it is a valuable skill in the classroom because it allows you to understand and anticipate your students’ mistakes.

Will you help me find a TEFL job?

If you have not taken the course with us, unfortunately, we cannot help you as it would be unfair to those who receive their certificates with us. For this reason, we only provide job guidance for our own trainees.
If you are looking to develop your skills, keep an eye out for our Teacher Development and TEFL Refresher courses.

Where can I teach with my TESOL certificate?

In Spain, you can teach in any private institution, such as language schools, bilingual schools and international colleges. At language schools, you will mainly teach adults, but you can be required to teach children and teenagers as well. In that case, our Teaching Young Learners Course might be interesting to you. In addition, you can work as an in-company teacher and there´s a big market for private classes. You cannot, however, teach in public schools in Spain. This is because the selection process for teachers is carried out by the state and requires a university degree as well as the passing of a state exam. If you are looking outside of Spain for work, always check the requirements for public education employment.

How much is the average salary for an English teacher in Spain?

The average wage for a full-time English teacher in Spain is between €1100 and €1500 net per month.

When do schools look for EFL teachers?

The biggest hiring times fall between August and October and again in December and January. There is also a surge before summertime (April to June) where schools begin looking for EFL teachers for summer camps and intensive language classes. That being said, we are always receiving job openings throughout the year, so any time is a good time to get certified.

Do I need a visa to study and work in Spain?

If you are a citizen of an EU country, you are free to study and work within the EU without requiring a visa. If you are a student from outside the EU area, you can apply for a 3-month tourist visa, and you are free to study during this period. As it´s quite complicated for non-Europeans to obtain a working visa for Spain, you could apply for a student visa which allows you to be eligible for work authorization to work up to 20 hours per week. Min 20 study hours/week are required. This means you´ll need to sign up for our Teacher Development Course or for example an intensive Spanish course after your TESOL course.

Non-EU citizens should check with their local consulate to find out the specific requirements and/or paperwork they will need.